Followers

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 1 (8/22) On The Go!

Today was my first time coming to Thailand. Coincident was that Fa happened to come back from China today. I’m not sure if this is okay or not as there was still an odd atmosphere between me and Fa.

But anyway, I was here at a hotel in central Bangkok now. I met Steve at Exit Door 3 at Bangkok airport as planned. He told me that there had been an incredibly heavy rain the whole day. When he left the hotel the water level was nearly knee high! Fortunately rain was gone before my arrival, and the rain made the temperature a bit cooler and pleasant, still humid though.
I had been warned by family and friends as soon as they knew I was going to Thailand, things like food hygiene, crime and of course sex trade. Ron told me a scary story about three Taiwanese students experiencing sex trade while travelling through Thailand probably around two years ago and last year they graduated and were ready for military service. Before joining the army they had blood check and then…bingo…AIDS…imaginable that they panicked, one guy said he even didn’t know how to tell his girlfriend about this as they had had sex without condom…gosh…

Other stories like my elder sister was sent straight to the hospital after landing because of food poisoning as well as her colleague having diarrhea since the first day of their travelling.
All these stories now were circling around in my mind making me feel sick. Imagination or subconscious are a powerful thing. I kept recalling to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong while walking around downstairs. Made sure what I had bought (water and a mug of Whisky Mixed with Glass only), made sure I didn’t call a girl. There were many taxi drivers having asked me to have sex trade, it was really annoying. I wasn’t sure if my imagination was too powerful or not, I had one diarrhea before hopping on the airplane and twice after getting in the hotel. Was the Whisky dirty or the water I bought from the 7-11 downstairs? Or was it because of the bbq octopus from my younger sister? Whatever it could be, my stomach didn’t feel quite right now.Time to sleep. Will have to get up really really early “later” (two hours later). Steve is a very nice British guy who was chatty and kind and smart. Will talk about more later.



The place I spent my first night.
The room is not bad, with satellite TV and different foreigner channels, good for every English learner; just it has no wireless internet service.

Night life along the entire Khao Sum Road was noisy and energetic. The street was busy with countless taxi. The numbers of 7-11 are much denser than that in Taiwan. Four to five can be found on only one street.
Many people still keep wrong impression about Thailand that it is a less developed country. For me there is no much difference between Thailand and Taiwan. More importantly, much more people in Thailand than in Taiwan can speak English (at least basic to medium level), which is quite competitive.

Almost all singers at bars can sing American country songs very well, as if they themselves are from the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment